Monday, January 30, 2012

Can I use the pods from the dead buds of my hibiscus plant to start another plant? If so how do I do it?

If you're not concerned with getting a plant that is true to the parent plant, then seed is fine.

Hibiscus is easy to germinate. It usually takes 2-4 weeks to germinate @ 70-80 F in a greenhouse. Use a pin to remove the seeds from a ripe pod. Then put one seed per pot (you can use a seed tray, but these guys will grow fast and need transplanting soon after). Plant these seeds to a depth twice their existing size.

Remember to use quality potting soil. Assuming you don't have a greenhouse, start the seeds soon after the last threat of frost is over. This will extend their germination to roughly 8 weeks. Keep the soil evenly and constantly moist.

Good luck!

You can also do a cutting or air layering; both are equally successful and may even be easier.
Can I use the pods from the dead buds of my hibiscus plant to start another plant? If so how do I do it?
I have a huge plant in my garden that was started from seeds from my original plant which is now in our last home 600 miles from here. Pick the pods when they turn brown and keep them in a dry place over the winter. Plant the seeds in your garden or in a pot in the spring. You may only get one or two blooms the first year but my the second year you will have lots of blooms.
Reply:Your best bet is to take cuttings and sit them in water until they are rooted.

No comments:

Post a Comment